Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Difference Between The Commandments and The Law

August 1, 2013 by S. Weeks
Here is what I have learned, regarding the difference between the Commandments and the Law. I hope you will consider reading the word with 'new eyes' and noticing when 'Law' is spoken of, and when it is referring to the 'Commandments' . . .

There is a difference between 'The Law' and The Commandments -- which were a part of The Law. God Himself, with His own finger, wrote The Ten Commandments on tablets of stone--signifying that they were to endure for all time. The rest of the laws and ordinances were written, by Moses, in a book.
'And they shall make an ARK [of] shittim wood . . . And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it,and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about. . . AND THOU SHALT PUT INTO THE ARK THE TESTIMONY which I shall give thee.' (Exodus 25:10, 11, 16)
'And thou shalt make a mercy seat [of] pure gold . . .And thou shalt make two cherubims [of] gold, [of] beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end,and the other cherub on the other end: [even] of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth[their] wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces [shall look] one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.

And thou shalt PUT THE MERCY SEAT ABOVE UPON THE ARK;and IN THE ARK THOU SHALT PUT THE TESTIMONY that I shall give thee. And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat,from between the two cherubims which [are] upon the ark of the testimony . . .'(Exodus 25:17-22)

We can see that the testimony God was going to give Moses, was what He had promised in Exodus 24:12 . . .
'And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I WILL GIVE THEE TABLES OF STONE, **and a law**, AND COMMANDMENTS WHICH I HAVE WRITTEN; that thou mayest teach them.'

So we can see the importance of the Ten Commandments. Equally important at that time, but not a permanent part of the covenant, were the statutes and judgments . . . over 600 of them, including the dietary restrictions, etc.


'And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,Take this book of the law, and PUT IT IN THE SIDE OF THE ARK of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.' (Deut. 31:24-26)

It is important to see the distinction between The Commandments and The Law. The Ten Commandments, written by God, in stone, were placed INSIDE the Ark of the Covenant. The Ten Commandments were placed inside the Ark of the Covenant, thus we can infer that the Ten Commandments ARE God's Covenant with man. (The book of The Law was placed IN THE SIDE of the Ark.)

When a man asked Jesus how he could obtain eternal life, Jesus didn't say: follow The Law. But He did say 'keep the commandments', and He goes on to enumerate a few of them, showing unmistakeably that He was referring to the Ten Commandments.
'And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master,what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him,Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the COMMANDMENTS.

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.' (Matthew 19:16-19)
'If ye love me, keep my COMMANDMENTS.' (John 14:15)
'If ye keep my COMMANDMENTS, ye shall abide in my love;even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.' (John15:10)
'And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his COMMANDMENTS.' (1 John 2:3)

Also
'And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the COMMANDMENTS God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.' (Rev. 12:17)
'Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the COMMANDMENTS of God, and the faith of Jesus.' (Rev. 14:12)

A search of 'keep commandments' is eye opening;

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?criteria=keep+commandments&page=3&t=KJV

A careful reading of Acts 15 should confirm what I am saying. The issue of whether or not the Gentiles had to be circumcised (and thereby be 'under the LAW') was settled long ago. The Jewish Apostles also affirmed that neither they nor their fathers had been able to keep the Law--past tense (see verse 10).

The Commandments vs. The Law:
  • The Commandments were written in stone, The Law was written in a book.
  • The Commandments were written by the finger of God, The Law was written down by Moses.
  • The Commandments were placed IN the Ark of the Covenant, under the Mercy Seat, the book of The Law was placed in the SIDE of the Ark.
  • Jesus said 'keep my Commandments', Paul said 'Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.'

One last reminder . . .

Keeping The Commandments means keeping all TEN of them--that includes keeping the Sabbath holy.  Those who have taught you that we do not need to keep the Sabbath because Jesus is our Sabbath are missing the point.  Jesus is also the bread of life, but you still eat bread don't you?







4 comments:

  1. I will ask the author to reply to this email I received:

    Hi! I read your blog from time to time. Last night I read your entry on Keeping the Law vs Keeping the Commandments. Very good! Very interesting! I've had some trouble understanding why the 4th commandment is never mentioned these days (unless of course you are an SDA). I don't have peace when I recognize that I brush right passed this commandment and live this day like any other. Surely we are to uphold it as set apart just like God's commandment says. However, when I look upon the fullness of Christ and His finished work; our rest from laboring to please God, then I see it could be treated as a day like any other. Believe me, I've read and read all sorts of information about this and looked at scripture, but I just do not have not have peace as to what is correct! I've asked the Lord to lead me in to all Truth and this matter is now one at hand to tackle. I want to obey and honor my Lord. If this means to honor the Sabbath more fully, I am delighted to do so. But then comes the question of how. What does this day look like for you? How are we to keep this commandment? And what about if our spouse is not quite on board? Do we treat Saturday or Sunday as our Sabbath? I'm downhearted and confused. I have other believer friends that I trust and converse with, but this concern of mine is not a concern of theirs at this time, so I really don't know who to talk to about this.
    I have a very weak conscience and so be tender with me and my worries. I also know my salvation is in Christ alone and his precious blood... But the Internet is full of talk that disobedience to this command is an eternal issue, so now of course I am fearful that if I don't keep the Sabbath perfectly, or treat it as intended, then perhaps I will not be granted eternal life.
    Thank you in advance for answering this email; if in fact you do! :)
    Have a blessed day,


    In His grip,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. I too wondered just what it means to keep the Sabbath holy, APART FROM the additional restrictions in the Law of Moses (which we are no longer under). My search led me to this:

      'If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.' (Isaiah 58:13-14)

      I believe this gives us the 'big picture' of how God would like us to spend the Sabbath day. I don't believe we are to focus on the details to the extent that we would only quote Bible verses (not speak our own words) that day. I believe the point is that the day is a day for us to be focused on God.

      Some people will argue that we must meet together to worship on the Sabbath. The SDA even go so far as to say that Sunday worship is the Mark of the Beast (no--it's not). But the following verse seems to reinforce the idea that it is a day of rest . . . a day to be spent at home with one's family:

      'Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD **in all your dwellings**.' (Lev. 23:3)

      People who don't want to keep the Sabbath are quick to try and introduce controversial questions. Are we allowed to work on the Sabbath? Are we allowed to do (free) works of service for others on the Sabbath? Are we allowed to do household chores or yardwork that day? (And they usually phrase their questions quite sarcastically.) I think I saw the best explanation in a children's Bible: 'rest from all unneccessary work'. That would be the key to what kind of household work you would do that day. Volunteer projects to help others? If there's no other time it can be done, I suppose. Work for pay or profit? No.

      What day is the Sabbath? The Sabbath is the seventh day--the day we call 'Saturday'.

      Do we have to attend church on the Sabbath, rather than Sunday? I don't think it matters.

      You said: 'However, when I look upon the fullness of Christ and His finished work; our rest from laboring to please God, then I see it could be treated as a day like any other'

      If I understand right, you are referring to the idea that Jesus Christ is our Sabbath rest. Well . . . there's two things I'd like to say about that.

      #1. How do we understand what a Sabbath rest is, if we never keep the Sabbath? Keeping the Sabbath helps us understand the parallel. Jesus often used parables to teach the people spiritual lessons. He would use an example from daily life, that they understood well, to draw a parallel with how things are in the spiritual realm. Real life things can be symbolic of spiritual things. But the spiritual application is lost when we lose touch with the real life half of the equation.

      #2. We are shown the origin of the Sabbath, as a day that is set apart to God. It happened right after the creation of man--it happened on the seventh day of creation!

      'Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. **And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it**: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.' (Gen. 2:1-3)
      - will continue next post-

      Delete
    2. My personal view (I can't prove this), is that the Ten Commandments were not given first to Moses. I believe the Commandments were given, one by one, in the beginning.

      1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image . . . 3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain . . . 4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. . .

      Later, after Abel and Cain were born:

      5. Honour thy father and thy mother . . . 6. Thou shalt not kill . . .

      Later:

      7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. . . etc.

      My point being--I believe the Commandment to keep the Sabbath is one of the oldest Commandments.

      There are many tests in the Christian life. God will separate those who truly love Him . . . who walk after His Spirit . . . from those who walk after the flesh. The Bible is written in such a way that those who want to deceive themselves and practice sin will be able to find vague verses, or ideas, that seem to support what they are doing. Jesus said that His sheep hear His voice and follow (obey) Him. He also said that His word is only understood with the help of the Holy Spirit (false converts and unbelievers will not understand it). There are plenty of false converts and unbelievers trying to instruct people about God's word. Sadly, some of them stand in pulpits. I urge you to put aside everything that PEOPLE have told you, and pray for the Holy Spirit to lead you, then read God's word and look for your answers. I believe if you will filter out what PEOPLE have taught you, from what the Holy Spirit has already shown you, you may already have your answer.

      One more thought--if Christians had been diligent to keep the Sabbath day Commandment, it would have made it a LOT harder for evolution to have gained such a foothold in our society. Once a week, we have a day that reminds us that God created everything. When we keep the Sabbath, it is a testimony to our society that we were CREATED--we did not evolve--and that there is a God to whom we all must one day give an account.

      You can see why such a day would be the object of so much (demonic) opposition. What may be hard to understand is why professed Christians would be the ones that fight it the hardest. The key lies in the word 'professed'. Jesus told a parable about a field full of wheat being sown with tares that would grow up with them until the day of harvest. If we really inspect people's FRUIT (as Jesus instructed us to do), we come to the startling conclusion that MANY people who profess to be Christians, probably aren't. They love the world, and the world loves them. They have no fear of God. No true love for God. No desire to submit to God. When they encounter the truth they reject it. And they ('many') are all strolling hand-in-hand together, down a broad path, in search of their 'best life now'.

      In Jesus' day it wasn't the 'sinners' that rejected Him. Paradoxically, it was the religious people that hated Him. So really, not much has changed.
      S. Weeks

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete